A Healthy and Healing Recipe from Punta Cana!
The people are what make Punta Cana special! Today we have an interview with a member of the community who has introduced a taste of the exotic to the destination. Krishna Duddukuri is well known for offering not only delicious Indian food, but also incredible wisdom during tough times. Since we are all finding it difficult during lockdown thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic, Krishna has sent us a special recipe to help us through. Let’s take a look:
Style of Food
Homemade Indian food
Tell us a little about you and your love of food:
I am originally from a city called Hyderabad, South India. Famous for food, pearls and call centers. Hospitality has always been a family tradition. I love cooking and the most important ingredient in my food is love. As much as I love to eat good and tasty food, I want my clients to feel the same. It should not just satisfy your hunger but also touch your heart and soul. Every human forgets all stress, worries and problems in front of food. So yes, I love to make people happy and help them forget their pain, stress and problems.
Tell us why you decided to open a restaurant:
When I first came to Punta Cana, I did not find any spices or a variety of spicy food. Back in Switzerland I was always working in restaurants and before that in India when I was a kid. I used to accompany my father selling Indian street food. My first thought was, Indian food in Punta Cana? No way was it going to work! But we always have to try. And five years later, here I am. Dominican Republic and its people have received me so well and received Pranama and its food with love. I am grateful to this country for this. Also when I first decided to come here, I was calling many hotels for job opportunities and no one cared to answer my emails or calls. After a long hesitation, brought this little business in El Dorado with my savings and never looked back.
Please give us a taste of Pranama with your favorite recipe:
Since we are all living this crisis of COVID 19, I would like to give an Ayurvedic recipe of a soup called Rasam, which translates from Sanskrit as Rasa meaning ELIXIR. It’s more than 5000 years old and is known for its healing properties against all types of flu and respiratory diseases. The original recipe did not have tomatoes but the modern recipe does. Tomatoes are rich in anti-oxidants. Also, please note that Indians use a lot of spices not only to enhance the flavor of food, but every spice is also a medicine, so spices help us develop our immunity.
* 20 cm coriander seeds
* 15 whole black peppercorns
* 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon mustard seed
* ½ tablespoon turmeric
* 2 cups tomatoes, finely chopped
* 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
* 1 piece fresh ginger (20cms) finely chopped
* 3 cloves garlic chopped
* 30g tamarind in a cup of warm water, if not available 1 lime can be used
* If you have access use ghee, asafoetida and curry leaves. It is tastier and ghee is healthy
- In a pan, take 2 spoons of vegetable oil (or ghee) and heat it, add asafoetida to the hot oil, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and coriander seeds.
- Once the seed starts to splutter, add, chopped ginger and garlic. Let garlic turn golden brown. Add tomatoes and let it sauté for 5 minutes once the tomatoes are half cooked.
- Add 6 cups of water and stir well. Then add turmeric, peppercorns (crush them before adding into the water). Chopped cilantro leaves and let it boil for 15 minutes.
- Now make the juice of tamarind, and throw away the pulp.
- Add this tamarind juice and let it boil for another 15 minutes.
- Add salt to taste. Let this soup boil for 10mins more, the soup is more potent and tasty if it is boiled at least for a total of 45 minutes.
Why is this recipe important to you?
Every time I have a cold or want to fast for a day, I love Rasam because it helps a lot. I am sure at this moment of crisis, we all could use this soup to boost our immunity. While we eat we will discover the benefits of Ayurveda.
Is there anything else you would like to add?
Stay positive, Meditate, help at least one person in need if you can. Always remember.
Everything in life happens for a reason. Only time has the answer.
Get In touch with Pranama via social media:
Let us know your favorite Punta Cana restaurant in our Facebook group,and we’ll interview them for you to read on our website!